The Managing Committee of Longos Cultural Society "Lord Byron" organised an
Monastery of Panagia Malevi,
Monastery of Panagia Malevi
is a famous in Greece Monastery of Koimisi Theotokou, named as Malevi. It is built on the slopes of mount Parnon at an altitude of 903 metres in 5 km distance of Agios Petros.
The name Malevi, comes from the mountain Malevos. According to tradition, the monastery was founded in the beginning of the 8th century, at the highest point of the money, at the location Kanalous. Due to the difficult weather conditions, in the beginning of the 14th century it was transferred to the location Pournaria, as we can detect from a chrysobull of 1320, by emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos. At its present day location, according to the founding inscription, it was constructed in 1616. During the Turkish Occupation it was torched twice, in 1786 and in 1826, by the troops of Ibrahim.
During the Revolution of 1821 it played a significant role, since its abbot was a member of Filiki Etairia and provided his services as a surgeon, while Kolokotronis had established here a unit for the hospitalization of the wounded and the sick. In modern time, during the German occupation, it was bombarded by German airplanes, because the forces of the resistance that were active at Parnon found refuge there.
Next to Old Katholic,in the late years, was built a new church in
Byzantine style. There are the chapels of Agios Georgios, Agios
Nekratios and Agios Neilos, too. Agios Neilos (civic Nikolaos Terzakis,
†1651) was a monk there before he went
to Mount Athos.
The monastery was converted to a women´s convent in 1949. Nowadays it is Inhabited by 14 nuns.
Agios Petrosis a mountain village and a community in the municipality of North Kynouria in southeastern Arcadia. It is situated in the northern part of the Parnon mountains, at about 961 metres elevation, 26 km southeast of Tripoli. The village has a lot of old manor houses and tower buildings. The most important is the tower building of Aga Trikalitis (17th/18th century),wich was recontructed in 2003 - 2006, suported by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation. Not only the church of Agios Petros (19th century), but the churches of Eisodia of Virgin Mary and Agios Neilos are worth to be mentioned.
Church of Agios Petros Tower building of Aga Trikalitis
Ano Doliana ...is built on the slopes of the mountain Parnonas at an altitude of 1000 metres. Here you can find combined the shady forests of chestnut, walnut, oak and plane trees, and a traditional settlement built with stone and marble.
The first weekend of November there is the traditional
«Festival of chestnuts»and the visitors can taste chestnuts in all variations as meal, sweet an even as liquer.
One can visit the stone-built church of St. George and see Christofili’s house - nowadays the Historic and Ethnografic Museum - which was given the name “Nikitara´s Bulwark”. Nikitas Stamatelopoulos or "Nikitaras" fought successful with 200 men against 2000 Turks in the Battle of Doliana on May, 18, 1821.